Monday, September 03, 2007

New Feature: From behind the Wall

In our gallery space, our back room (where I manage the John W. Golden Etsy empire :p ) is separated from the rest of the Gallery proper by a 6-foot high wall. Statements made on one side of the wall travel quite freely to the other side. And, boy! do statements get made.

Our gallery is a little different than what most folks are used to. Our gallery is stocked and staffed by people with the last name Golden. I grew up around this, so I'm not surprised when an artist owns a gallery. This however is not often the case, so I suspect that your average visitor who visits our space is not expecting the artist whose work that they are raving about (or disparaging) is within earshot.

Being nearby when the compliments flow is great, and you know that they are sincere. But more so, I think I enjoy hearing the bad things people say. Sometimes they are funny, and always entertaining. Most often they show how little the speaker understands about what is involved in being a working artist.

So...I thought, to save my wife from having to listen to me repeating what gets said, I would occasionally post some snippets of what I hear on the other side of the wall.

I'll keep it anonymous, as I don't want to poke fun at anyone (too much). Purely for infotainment purposes.

So I have added a Twitter widget so I can get these gems up on my blog quick and dirty like. It's in the upper right hand corner, and I'll try to update it often.

1 comment:

Brandi Hussey said...

I love this idea! I haven't had nearly as much experience, but it amuses me nevertheless the reactions people have to art. I think it's kind of nifty to post what people are saying in real time...