Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Who knows...?

I'm not really able to put my finger on exactly where the idea for this new series came from, but I think it developed as I was trying to finish this illustration of a bear. He came out smiling, so I thought, "The Happy Bear". Then I had to determine why he would be happy. Hence the big dead fish. So is it a comment on the fact that one's happiness can come at the expense of others, or is it just a big happy bear about to eat a dead fish? Did it just strike me as a funny juxtaposition. I'll leave that to you.

Future entries in this series will include the Disgruntled Skunk, the Persnickety Opossum, and the Hirsute Hedgehog. While it sounds a bit like new books by Lemony Snicket, I think it will be a fun series to produce.

For now, The Happy Bear is available on my Etsy shop, with future plans to offer him on imagekind.

No comments: