Monday, December 19, 2005

Where it began....

When I was 11 or 12 years old, I began to play around with block printing. With the help of my mother, an artist herself, I created a block print of a sailboat and and one of a surfer. I sold them in my mom's gallery, and eventually sold every print that I made. I don't know if any still exist.

By the time I was 14, I was a bit tired of block prints, and created a series of the North Carolina lighthouses. These were pen and ink drawings of the 7 lighthouses, which we reproduced, and then hand tinted with watercolor.

I later moved on to photography and to acrylic painting to oil painting and to sculpture and to watercolor and to gouache and eventually to computer-based illustration. My niche has been trying to recreat traditional media digitally.

After 20 years of selling the original lighthouse series, I felt the need to revisit the subject matter to show that I have progressed a bit since the age of 14. So, I created a new series of the NC lighthouses, in a style reminiscient of 1930s travel posters. It's sort of a "coming full circle" for me, to revisit some of my earliest subject matter, and I have since begun to turn my attention to other states. A series of the South Carolina lighthouses is underway, and I am gathering reference for every lighthouse in the US.

No comments: