Monday, January 04, 2010

I'm bringing waving back...

Close Hand in to Fist, © 2009 John W. Golden
I have always had a love/hate relationship with the handshake. I often get beat to the grasp. I get my fingers out there, just enough to have the other person clamp down on them and leave most of my palm free. I almost feel as if I should curtsy.

On the other hand, I am quick to extend my hand to strangers and introduce myself with a handshake. I can't bear the awkwardness when meeting someone new in a group setting, and your friend, who knows this new person, doesn't introduce you. So, I usually pre-empt that with an introduction. Then I read to beware of people like that. Can't remember why, but you are supposed to be wary of a person who extends his hand first. So, no more handshakes, I guess. Since neither of us can extend a hand first. Whether or not to extend your hand is the new 4-way stop. You go, no you go. Did you see that guy? It wasn't his turn. He just went.

By the same token, I'm not cool enough to Fist Bump. I just cannot pull it off. And I have bony knuckles. And I don't run with a fist-bumping crowd, whoever that is.

So, when I was adding some new pieces to my film can collage series, I pulled up my original film can illustration I did for The 3 Aspects of a Good Handshake (done years ago). I was reminded of how much I felt like that particular image and title was the most education film-like. When I start the can illustration, I know a film title, but I don't have any idea what the text over it will say, much less what it will refer to. That part comes to me as I create the textured version. Sometimes I have to think about it a while before an idea comes to mind.

When I created this particular film can illo, the fist bump did not exist. But now it seems tailor-made to contrast with modern day the era in which films were made to educate and refine us. This is, in it's own way, the essence of the film can series. Contrasting now with then.

I'm neither celebrating the handshake (See aforementioned personal issues with handshakes), nor dismissing the fist bump. I think I may be asking for a third option.

No comments: